Tuesday 7 August 2012

Newes From The Front 7/8/2012

Got to take the Mule for a spin down at the club last night with a slightly modified version of the 35pts pMagnus list I normally run.

Magnus The Traitor
-Mule
-Nomad
-Renegade
-Renegade
Steelhead Halbardiers x10
Steelhead Riflemen x10
Saxon Orrick

I knew my opponent would be playing Trolls and was half-expecting him to play a Grim Angus list, though I turned out to be surprised.

Epic Doomshaper
-Axer
-Earthborn
-Mauler
-Mulg
Runebearer

Believing that I understood how the Fury mechanic in Hordes worked my whole plan resolved around taking out my opponents warbeasts as quickly as possible. The Mule combined with the Riflemen, the two Renegades and Magnus' Obliteration spell were to give me some nice ranged combat options as the Trolls closed the distance. Saxon was to team up with the Halbardiers and use his anti-beast abilities to charge and take out targets in melee, but as it turned out he died embarrassingly early.

I hadn't counted on Doomie having a few tricks up his sleeve and the Trolls' Regeneration ability, something that ended up costing me the game as I struggled to kill his army. The Mauler got taken out eventually, but I lost just over half my army. The Riflemen spent most of the game sat useless on a flank, but thats due to my own indecision. I could've made more use of them, perhaps supporting the Halbardiers with a Combined Range Attack. Alas, theres probably a ton of stuff I could've done differently and after all each game is a learning experience as you find out what works and what doesn't against different units. 

Despite my defeat it was still a fun game, just need to figure out an effective way of dealing with Trolls...

~ ~ ~

As a reminder I'm still accepting questions for a Mailbox segment on Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment